No trip to this part of the country would be complete without a shopping trip to the largest mall on the east coast. (Actually, for those of you in the Boston area, don't bother, the Natick Mall is nicer and has nearly as many stores) But if you are dying to go to the King of Prussia Mall, there are still things for the savvy museum visitor to see!
This Christmas season there are in fact two exhibits being shown at the mall, a collection of costumes used in the Philadelphia Opera and an exhibit of all of the Norman Rockwell Saturday Evening Post covers and an interactive walk through of scenes from the covers.
The Philadelphia Opera costumes are set up in the main section of the mall, similar to how fashion might be displayed, which in my opinion is very cool as it allows these works of art to be appreciated by people who are already out to appreciate fine fashion.
The Norman Rockwell experience is behind a 5 dollar pay wall, which I did not end up going to, mostly because since the mall is so huge, it took me until the mall was just about to close to find the exhibit (It's near Rite Aid). But I did see some of the teaser sculptures that had been placed around the mall to build excitement for the exhibit. I'm sure this is a for profit venture, though some of the proceeds are going to charity. It is an intriguing venue that brings the museum experience to the people. I'm sure some will say this cheapens the concept of museums, but if we keep talking about people not having museum literacy and feeling uncomfortable in museums, perhaps ventures like this will allow more people to experience museums in a place they are already comfortable and then they will go to traditional museums.
What do you think? Should museums and malls mix?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What an interesting idea! I never would have thought to think of putting museums with malls. However, now that I think about it, when I went to go visit my friend in San Diego, we saw the Bodies exhibit and it was on the edge of this outdoor sort of mall, so I guess that's the same thing.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it feels slightly strange, it does lessen the worries of that "inexperienced" museum visitor who never visit museums and feel like they are for the academics. I would be curious how well the exhibits did there at the King of Prussia. I mean, if people are visiting the exhibit, the museum and the mall are getting something out of the deal.
Hmmm... I see how a costumes' exhibit can easily be related to a mall, however I don't like the idea of mixing museums and malls. What about factors of deteriorations? How can we establish an appropriate environment for the artifacts on view?
ReplyDeleteI feel that we should work on making people more literate and not trying to offer what is more readily consumable - if that's a term!
As far as the exhibit is well organized and cared, I think it is not a bad idea. Sometimes in a busy life cycle I could not manage well the two things between the need of shopping and the duty of family trip. Also when family members have different ideas,it would be an alternative plan.
ReplyDeleteBut a strange feeling is coming from the fact that two different organization met; profit and non-profit. I am just wondering when the mall raised its profit because of the people who visited the exhibit, where the money goes.
Not even a museum exhibit could get me near the mall during the holiday season. Well, perhaps a Winslow Homer show or some cool Abstract Expressionist paintings. Actually, while visiting Chicago a few years ago, I was surprised to find a very cool "permanent" exhibition of stained glass at the Smith Museum of Stained Glass (lots of Tiffany and some LaFarge and I think a few Frank Lloyd Wright pieces) at the Chicago Navy Pier. It is mostly restaurants, shops, and kitch entertainment, but I really loved this stained glass. The best part was that it was free and we were the only people around.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.navypier.com/things2do/rides_attract/smith_museum.html